skip to main content
  • Login
  • Register

Carers eligibility

If you have an assessment and the Council can help, they will write a care and support plan with you, or a joint support plan for both you and the person you care for, taking into account your needs as a carer. 

The plan explains what support will be arranged, who will provide it and, if you are eligible, how the Council can help you pay for it. 

How will I know if I am eligible?

You may be eligible for help if:

  • Your need for support results from providing necessary care for an adult, and
  • You need support to achieve things in one or more areas of life, as listed below:
    • Carrying out any caring responsibilities you have for a child
    • Providing care to other people to whom you provide care
    • Maintaining a habitable home environment
    • Managing and maintaining nutrition 
    • Developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
    • Engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
    • Making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community
    • Engaging in recreational activities, and  
    • Failure to achieve these things would result in a significant impact on your wellbeing.

What if I am not eligible?

If you are not eligible for services, they can still provide information and advice and put you in touch with other carer support organisations, such as Compass Carers. 

You can find more information about eligibility on the Carers in Somerset and Personal budgets pages on the Council website and on the websites below.