skip to main content
  • Login
  • Register

Different ways to receive education

This information is about other ways of your child getting an education that may not involve a traditional school environment. This could mean that your child is educated at home, that you use private tutors for specific subjects or that you are a traveller.

Your child must receive a full-time education after the age of five. You can take responsibility for their education outside the school system. This is called Elective Home Education. 

You can find more information about Elective Home Education on the County Council website.

If your child is having difficulties in school and you are thinking of educating them yourself, you should discuss this with your child's school first. If you still feel that you would like to educate your child, then you must write to the headteacher of the school. 

There may be meetings, but you can get support from organisations like SENDIAS, if your child has Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, and they could accompany you to these meetings.

If your child remains on the school roll but you remove them from the school, the school has a duty to pass your details to the relevant services, including, Educational Welfare, Education Attendance Officers and the safeguarding teams. 

If you take your child out of school we will make 'informal enquiries' and will intervene if it appears that parents are not providing a suitable education.

If parents or carers don't make adequate provision or don't provide evidence of an efficient and suitable education when asked, we have a duty to look for a solution. That may include legal action.

You do not have to be qualified or follow the National Curriculum. The education provided must match the age, aptitude and abilities of your child. It should also meet any Special Educational Needs and Disabilities the child has.

We do not pay for Elective Home Education and full financial responsibility rests with you, as the parent or carer. Exam Boards can tell you where the local examination centres are, when exams are taking place and any costs involved.

Private tutors

You may consider a private tutor for your child, whether it is for home educating, or whether you need a Tutor to support your child with additional learning, for example, leading up to exams or they may wish to learn a musical instrument.

Search for private tutors and other services.

Somerset Traveller education service

The Traveller education service offers advice and support to schools, Traveller pupils and families. Traveller children are from Gypsy, Irish Traveller, Romany, New Traveller, Circus and Fairground families.

The service helps to support schools to make it easier for Traveller children to settle in and maintain the continuity of education.

There is more information on the County Council  and Support Services for Education websites